I've noticed with great interest the number of stickers on bumpers and car windows that so loudly declare support for the John Kerry 2004 campaign. More than six months ago the American people chose, albeit closer than I would have liked to see, President Bush and Vice-President Cheney over the Misters Kerry and Edwards. I understand the disappointment over your choice losing an election; but what I don't understand is a nonsensical clinging to an unalterable past. The demonstration of your disappointment through the use of fading stickers really speaks volumes! I think I can throw support behind the theory some have put forth about the mental health state of certain political standpoints!
To qualify some of that thought,though, I want to reiterate my belief that I truly believe that most people who consider themselves to be liberal have what they incorrectly believe are good intentions. Unfortunately, political correctness and intellectual dishonesty, perpetrated on liberals by liberals, cloud their ability to see how their intentions really play out.
I can see how higher taxes, welfare, affirmative action, and other planks in the Democratic platform can at one glance (one very short, single-eyed glance) seem to be the answer to some social problems. But to play even these three items out, we can see how higher taxes actually slow the economy, netting less revenue, plus you have to be able to see that the government cannot manage and spend the money of its citzens more efficiently than individuals; welfare keeps those who exploit the system from having to become more productive citizens; and affirmative action inherently assumes the inferiority of minorities, although the success of those minorities is patently demonstrated in such institutions as the Bush administration. And what liberals don't understand is that this doesn't mean conservatives don't support spending money where it is needed. Conservatives obviously care about the less fortunate among us--see the size of contributions in the forms of cash and sweat equity from Christian groups to charity. And affirmative action too often comes across to me as lip service more often than an effective tool for the advancement of women and minorities--see the way Democrats are dragging their feet in confirming judges who are Female, or Black, or Hispanic.
The bottom line is to say that as I encounter disappointment in my life with the state of political affairs, those who disagree with me need to know that my fight back will not end at the backside of my car. It will be in support of the Word, demonstrated by my actions with my checkbook, my back, and my vote.
No comments:
Post a Comment